Just a mom...with a small cooking obsession. Nothing big! ha Join me throughout my journey of teetering with the thought of starting up a small catering business! My goal with this blog is to help other moms who have an ounce of time make awesome meals, throw the best parties with out of this world appetizers, and keep her sanity all at the same time. Welcome to my world!!

Friday, January 6, 2012

Rainbow Cupcakes

Ok...we are only 6 days into January and I almost failed tonight by forgetting to put up a recipe! Shame on me how in the world am I going to be on top of this the rest of the year?!?

For my daughter's, Ryanne, 1st birthday party in December it was a cupcake themed party! I decided instead of take home goody bags we would do decorate your own take home cupcakes! I had cupcakes that were plain, lots of different icings to put on them, sprinkles, bubblegum, gummy worms, m&ms and lots of other goodies for the kiddos and adults to decorate their cupcakes with. Then I took the white paper bags and drew a cupcake on them and wrote "Thanks for making my 1st birthday "sweet"!" After their cupcakes were decorated they put it down into their bags and took them home as a goodie for later! This went over very well...the best part was it wasn't just a regular cupcake I made rainbow cupcakes!!

Rainbow Cupcakes

You will need:
  • 1 box white cake mix (and all ingredients on the back that are needed to bake the cake.)
  • Food coloring. I prefer the Wilton gel colors-you can get them at Michaels or WalMart for sure
  • Cupcake liners
Directions:
  1. Preheat your oven to the degree on the back of the cake mix box.
  2. Beat all cake ingredients as directed on the back of the box.
  3. Once all ingredients are mixed well seperate into 4-5 different ceral bowls in even amounts.
  4. Add a different color gel/coloring into each bowl and mix until the exact color you want the batter to be
  5. Put cupcake liners into cupcake pans
  6. With a different spoon for each different colored batter, put 1 tsp. of each color into each liner. Keep alternating until the liners are 2/3 way full. DO NOT MIX THEM! They will look like mudd not rainbow
  7. Bake according to the time on the back of the box and then test with toothpick until it comes out clean!
  8. When you bite into these you will see all the different layers of color.
It is super easy to turn this into 2 9 inch cakes too! Just spoon the different colors into the round baking pans and bake! This is very easy but will baffle people who eat them wondering how you did this!

No comments:

Post a Comment